The aims of MYP mathematics are to encourage and enable students to:
• enjoy mathematics, develop curiosity and begin to appreciate its elegance and power
• develop an understanding of the principles and nature of mathematics
• communicate clearly and confidently in a variety of contexts
• develop logical, critical and creative thinking
• develop confidence, perseverance, and independence in mathematical thinking and problem-solving
• develop powers of generalization and abstraction
• apply and transfer skills to a wide range of real-life situations, other areas of knowledge and future developments
• appreciate how developments in technology and mathematics have influenced each other
• appreciate the moral, social and ethical implications arising from the work of mathematicians and the applications of mathematics
• appreciate the international dimension in mathematics through an awareness of the universality of mathematics and its multicultural and historical perspectives
• appreciate the contribution of mathematics to other areas of knowledge
• develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to pursue further studies in mathematics
• develop the ability to reflect critically upon their own work and the work of others.
"Neglect of mathematics works injury to all knowledge, since he who is ignorant of it cannot know the other sciences or the things of the world."